Three Questions That Parents Must Ask About After School Sports Programs
Posted: February 9, 2016
Today I spoke with Erica L. Martin who is widely considered an expert in sports based After School and Summer Camp programs. She is a respected consultant who trains business owners across the country on running high quality, fun, safe and exciting programs. She credits her family business, Authentic Martial Arts, as the foundation of her passion for keeping kids safe and running top notch programs. Authentic Martial Arts opened its doors in 1980 and now has locations in both Largo and Seminole.
Martin shared 3 questions that parents must ask about after school sports programs.
- What is your hiring and background check policy?
All staff members should be locally, state, and federally background checked so they are approved to work with children. If they are driving vehicles, they should also have their driving record checked before hiring.
- What policies are in place to ensure my child’s safety at all times?
When asking this question, there are 4 key factors to look for:
- Transportation safety guidelines. Ask about the transportation policy, and how each child is accounted for when entering or exiting the vehicle.
- Procedures to ensure children are never one on one with an adult. There should be strict policies in place which ensure that and adult never has one on one access to a child. There needs to be 2 adults or a group of children present at all times.
- Closed circuit surveillance system. It’s important that surveillance system is not open to the public. This ensures strangers will never have access to watching your child.
- Secure lobby. Ensure that qualified, background checked staff members are the only adults who have access to your children.
- Where can I find reviews about your program? In the day and age of social media, it’s important and easy to do your research! Make sure you are aligned with a reputable business, check reviews from current and previous customers.