Exposure to Carbon Monoxide From Car Left Running in Garage Sends Four to the Hospital


Exposure to Carbon Monoxide From Car Left Running in Garage Sends Four to the Hospital

Crews from City of Seminole Fire Rescue and Madeira Beach Fire Department responded to reports of an odor at the The Courtney at Bay Pines Apartment Homes. The homes are located 4996 Miramar Drive in the Bay Pines area.

The incident occurred at approximately 8:33 a.m. on Sunday, July 29, 2018.

Firefighters arriving on-scene measured high levels of carbon monoxide throughout the structure and proceeded to evacuate about 40 units in the affected building.

White Lexus left running in garage sickens residents

FIrefighters were eventually able to locate the source of the carbon monoxide.  The source was identified as a white Lexus parked in an enclosed garage. The vehicle was left running for an unknown amount of time. The keys were still in the vehicle with the headlights on and out of gas.

A total of four people were transported to local hospitals and two others treated on the scene.

Residents were allowed to return to their homes after approximately 2 hours once firefighters ventilated the entire building utilizing fans while opening all windows and doors.

Carbon monoxide is an colorless, odorless, tasteless and very toxic gas.  If not for one resident that called about an odor, this situation could have been much worse as levels were dangerously high according to fire officials. The odor the resident smelled was likely from other gases from the vehicles engine.

Carbon monoxide poisoning may include the following signs and symptoms.

  • Dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness

This incident is just one of many that highlights the essential need for an installation of carbon monoxide detectors even in residences without gas appliances.




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here